Solvay Sodium Bicarbonate BICAR® FCC conforms to the FOOD CHEMICALS CODEX 8th edition and is therefore suitable for a wide range of human food applications.
Sodium bicarbonate is mainly use for:
- its leavening characteristics (baking soda)
- the formulation of effervescent drinks
For example, BICAR® FCC is present in many kinds of biscuits, cakes and sweets. Some sparkling beverages do also contain it.
BICAR® FCC is available in different grades to respond to particular customer’s requests.
Yeast is used as rising agent in cake mixture and bread dough’s, and so on… This micro-organism produces an enzyme which acts as an organic catalyst and converts sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide:
[ C6H12O6 (glucose) ® 2C2H5OH + CO2 ]
Sodium bicarbonate BICAR® FCC is also used as a raising agent in pastries, cake, donuts, … allowing lighter preparations by releasing microbubbles of carbon dioxide which are trapped in the pastry as it cooks.
Sodium bicarbonate also releases carbon dioxide by reaction with water containing a food acid, such as :
- lactic acid, CH3-CHOH-COOH, found in sour milk
- tartaric acid, HOOC-(CHOH)2-COOH, found in fruits such as grapes
- citric acid, (COOH) CH2-C(OH)(COOH)-CH2COOH, found in citrus fruits
This makes it highly suitable for use in effervescent drinks, powders and tablets, etc.
Solvay® Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is a white, extremely pure substance. It is thanks to its particular molecular structure that Solvay® Sodium Bicarbonate is not only non-toxic and biodegradable, but also human and environment-friendly.
It is an all-purpose product that can be used in a variety of sectors, such as Foods and Animal Feeds, Detergents, Domestic Uses, Personal Hygiene and many others.
Solvay® Sodium Bicarbonate is a soluble and slightly abrasive substance which renders it the ideal product to remove in all safety persistent odours and stubborn stains:
- in the house
- in the kitchen
- in the bathroom
Solvay® Sodium Bicarbonate is also particularly suitable:
- for your personal care and hygiene (including that of your pets)
- and in the garden
Because BICAR® is not a dangerous product, its packaging, handling, storage and transportation are not subject to specific regulations.
According to quality and factory of origin, BICAR® may be supplied:
Bulk : full loads of 20 to 27 tons, delivered by truck equipped with pneumatic unloading systems
Bulk bags : medium-sized packages in 1 to 1.5 ton woven coated PP - 4 loops with discharging spout
Sacks : 25 kg PE sacks on covered pallets of net loads of 1 to 1.5 tons
Each type of BICAR® is identified by specific colour markings on the sacks, as follows :
green - BICAR® Z (animal feeds)
blue - BICAR® TEC (industrial applications)
black - BICAR® FCC (human food products)
red - BICAR® CODEX (pharmaceutical applications)
light blu - BICAR® PHARMA (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient)
According to local conditions, bulk deliveries of BICAR® may require specific types of handling equipment, as follows :
- horizontal or inclined (at an angle of less than 20º ) mechanical transporters (spiral conveyors or conveyor belts)
- vertical conveyor (bucket chain)
- pneumatic system
- BICAR® is a powdery product, and handling it may produce certain quantities of dust which will vary according to the particle size of the specific grades. Dust extractors should be installed as appropriate.
We recommend the use of fork lift trucks to handle pallet loads for land transportation, and fork lift swing bars for maritime transportation.
Recommendations for storage conditions:
Because BICAR® is not a dangerous product, its storage is not subject to specific regulations.
As it ages, the finest grades of BICAR® in particular :
- absorb humidity, causing a tendency to form lumps. This process accelerates if the BICAR® is compacted during storage
- absorb smells from other products stored nearby
- give off CO2, a process which increases as the temperature rises.
In general we suggest the following conditions of storage :
- avoid storing BICAR® close to heat sources
- avoid stacking sacks more than 2 pallets high.
- recommend using coated steel (epoxy resin or similar coating) or stainless steel storage silos, especially for storing BICAR® CODEX, BICAR® PHARMA and BICAR® FCC.
- we recommend storage in a covered local
- preferably at a temperature lower than 30ºC
- preferably at a relative humidity of less than 50 % in a well-ventilated warehouse or store.
- we recommend using coated steel (epoxy resin or similar coating) or stainless steel storage silos, especially for storing BICAR® CODEX, BICAR® PHARMA and BICAR® FCC.
Because BICAR® is not a dangerous product, its transportation is not subject to specific regulations.
Bulk transport is normally carried out using tankers equipped with pneumatic unloading systems. The interior of each tanker is inspected at the Solvay plant before loading, to ensure freedom from contamination.
Pallets should preferably be loaded on covered trucks to protect the product from rain or snow.